Tuesday, February 13, 2007

How I Found Out

by angelica


I had no idea that I suffered from NDS-syndrome (No Domestic Skills) until I reached my early thirties.

first my mother cooked and did the homework, then my various boyfriends and later my now ex-husband did the chores.

when I was single I hired a cleaning lady and ate out.

then came the day when a friend of mine was helping re-roofing my garage and I was too lazy to drive to a restaurant to get some take out for lunch.

after just having spent two weeks visiting another dear friend of mine who loves to cook and being subjected to watching her do just that for 14 whole days I decided to FIX LUNCH myself.

I had eggs in the fridge, and potatoes that weren’t too old, and frozen spinach. I always have frozen vegetables in my freezer cause they are healthy. every few month I throw the old ones out and replenish them with new ones. I do the same with the potatoes.

anyways – how hard could it be to cook some potatoes and serve them with spinach and scrambled eggs?

to make a long story short: if we’d been in an Italian restaurant this would have been on the menu:

potatoes al dente, served with spinach porridge and egg flambé.

and a look into the kitchen made the lebanon in 2006 after the israeli campaign come to mind.

this was my first hint that I might suffer from NDS-syndrome. and soon the evidence mounted!

to be continued…..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap, now I've heard everything. Everythings a frikkin disease now. I suppose next it's be the twinkie defense all over again. You commit a crime blame it on some bullshit diesease, then you get away with it cuz u got nds...give me a frikkin break!

Sara

Anonymous said...

dear sara,
that was very hurtful what you said there! a crime is a crime and if anybody would try to "blame" that on a disease instead of taking responsibility for it - that would really be very irresponsible and immature, right?
NDS is a very serious syndrome (we don't actually like it to be called a "disease"!) that can have VERY severe side effects such as malnutrition, house fires, or injuries if not taken seriously!
and you might want to take a closer look at yourself as it seems you are also afflicted with a very serious new syndrome that seems to spread like a plague:
NATWEC - Not Able To Write English Correctly.

Anonymous said...

Yes this is quite severe. I believe I've been diagnosed with the same condition, only here in England it's called Domestic Deficiency Syndrome (DDS). You're quite right about the debilitating effects. I mean I can't even manage to use the cooker to fix something as basic as bubble and squeak. I've also found that those of us with this particular syndrome are being discriminated against. In some cases we've been the victim of hate crimes. Just last week someone actually set fire to an old stove in front of the home of a poor woman afflicted with DDS.

There is little help for us and the poor woman mentioned above attempted to take her own life with a kitchen knife. Fortunately, for her, she was unable to use the knife properly and this dreaded condition may have actually saved her life.

Anonymous said...

Hey don't worry girls. The way to a man's heart is NOT his stomach it's his PENIS, and even if you can get there thru his stomach the penis is a much more direct route. So don't worry about cookin in the kitchen, just worry about cookin in the bedroom and find a rich guy with a penis and then hire people to do all that nasty cookin cleanin washin and sewin.