Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Day The Microwave Stood Still...

by angelica


it happened on a saturday morning. I had just put a container with water for my morning cup of chai (it’s a powder, you just add hot water!) into the microwave when their was a noise, kind of a very troublesome “clunk”, and then the microwave was dead. absolutely and totally.

I decided to be brave, face the world without nuking and postponed buying a new microwave until monday, when a technical wizard friend of mine was scheduled for a visit. he would sure be able to fix the problem. and I would sure be able to survive for two days without a microwave!

boy, was I wrong!

saturday breakfast: I found a pot (in spite of not using a kitchen I still do have one and it does have equipment), filled it with water and put it on the stove. I did remember to turn the knob to make that thing that the pot was standing on hot. of course I turned the wrong knob so I had to switch out the metal cover. that had happened before, I do have plenty of covers available for just these occasions.

fortunately I also had a second pot as the first one looked pretty bad after standing on the hot oven without water for a while. while reading the paper I had of course forgotten that I was heating water in the kitchen.

I went to Denny’s and decided to try again sunday morning.

saturday lunch: I didn’t want to take any chances and just had a sandwich (pre sliced bread) with some cheese (single wrapped cheese slices) and an apple.

saturday dinner: I learned through experience that you have to take the meal out of the plastic wrap before putting it into the oven. it is not enough to just pierce the top. I ordered some take out.

sunday breakfast: I managed to boil some water (I did not leave the stove while I was doing so) and toast some bread without any incident! I took that as a good sign for the day and thought I’ll give it a try for lunch and have some spaghetti with tomato sauce (from a glass of course!).

sunday lunch: let’s just not talk about it. I will have to remember to buy heavy duty stove top cleaner monday.

sunday dinner: I always wanted to know how the food is at that new restaurant around the corner….

my new microwave looks pretty! and I got it really cheap, they had a monday morning early bird special…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh girl! you are in seeerious need of a husband, let me tell you. go get one of them tidy boys, do all the work for you! or a rich one! just two words: hired help.
go get'em girl

Anonymous said...

When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I get four emails with the exact same comment.
Is there a way you are able to remove me from
that service? Appreciate it!

Also visit my site cccam for test